About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

Amsterdam A-Biker

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

Re: Amsterdam A-Biker

Postby Artefex on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:05 pm

Welcome all,
Another delayed response...have been on holiday.
I think the easiest way to change the right and left brakes would be to switch the whole brake lever. Just remove the grips, slide off the brake lever and switch to the other side.
Or you could change just the cables but I think this would be difficult. They are hard to reach inside the tubes and are joined in some places with connector blocks. At least the front one was, made it quite hard to remove.
Post some info on how you did it if you are succesful! (We need to keep this forum alive somehow).
Artefex

Postby airness1977 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:55 am

Hi!

finally I did it right this:

Just remove the grips, slide off the brake lever and switch to the other side.

Easy and work fine.

Thanks!
airness1977

Postby 190E.sg on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:27 pm

Hi to all A-Bikers,

Thanks for sharing all your experience. I finally got my A-Bike/8 (with 8 x 1.24 inch pneumatic wheels). It is a wonderful piece of engineering invention. However, it lacks minor details that can make the bike more fun to ride. Already, like you guys, I have plan to make improvement.

The first item was the seat. Incidentally, the mod I did was quite similar to Artefex's mod. The pics show the mod on the seat.

Bought a alu seat post and seat that came with seat post clamp and a quick release. The seat clamp was fixed tight to the post with 2 pieces of rivets to prevent any movement or seat falling off in un-clamp mode. Machined a new shaft for the quick release to fit the swivel mechanism. The result was very satisfying and the seat can now fold and unfold neatly.

Also fitted a tail just beneath the seat.

Folded position

The front and rear post are rather weak. I can hear snapping noise once in a while during ride. At this moment, I'm machining bush for the front post to make it more firm. If the result does improve the ride and eliminate the noise, I will post it.

Best wishes for the new year.
190E.sg

Postby Artefex on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:38 pm

Nice saddle, what make is it?
Artefex

Postby 190E.sg on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Thanks. It's not a branded one. Just cost $17.
190E.sg

Postby johnwongtw on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:31 am

Hi 190E.sg, where did you order your A-bike? Is it the real thing?
johnwongtw

Postby Amuro Lee on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:01 am

I can tell you that it is not a genuine A-bike. :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Postby Wish Master on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:49 pm

Artefex wrote:Folding Seat Using Standard Parts.

To make the seat fold it should be the kind that attaches with two rails, using a saddle clamp that allows adjustment off the seat angle. A quick-release bolt replaces the bolt in the clamp so that the seat can be easily folded.
The only non-standard part is a bolt through the clamp so that it doesnt fall off the seat post while folding.

I am noob, I dont get quite well, how you installed two rails. Any photos of underneath the seat? So that easy to understand.
Wish Master

Postby Artefex on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:55 pm

Hello,

By 'two rails' I just mean the seat clamp attaches to two tubes under the seat, like the one in the photos above. Most seats are like this and the most important thing is that it can fold down enough (about 90 degrees). Some other seats, such as BMX seats (Which I personally think are the best, especially for small light bikes) have 'pivotal' mounts that wouldnt fold all the way down and the seat would stick out.
Artefex

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:25 am

190E.sg wrote:Bought a alu seat post and seat that came with seat post clamp and a quick release. The seat clamp was fixed tight to the post with 2 pieces of rivets to prevent any movement or seat falling off in un-clamp mode. Machined a new shaft for the quick release to fit the swivel mechanism. The result was very satisfying and the seat can now fold and unfold neatly.

Folded position

190E.sg - nice seat, where did you buy this seat? in SG or online, tell me the address if it is from singapore.

Thanks

Previous

Return to General Discussion