About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

Anyone wanna see a SmartCog - KOMA 3 Speed?

Any conversations, not related to A-Bike at all.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

Anyone wanna see a SmartCog - KOMA 3 Speed?

Postby Archer-ca on Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:25 pm

Hi All!

So I decided it was time for another bike. It's been over a decade since my crazy Mountain Biking Days down dirt hills and making myself as one with numerous trees and boulders on the way down. Being a little older and a little more fragile now I opted for something serene and pleasurable for the occasional ride.

After numerous weeks scouring the 'net I came across this A-Bike Forum. I was incredibly intrigued by the A-Bike. I spent late nights going thru the entire forum to read up on as much info as possible from you all. Then I came across this posting.

http://abikecentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=216&highlight=smartcog

Then it was more scouring for this little number, A KOMA 3 Speed folding bike that Amuro Lee had mentioned.
Image
Born and breed in Japan this little folding commuter bike was designed for short trips to and from public transit. While most transit systems prohibits passengers from taking bicycles onto bus and trains, for safety reasons and economics, the KOMA folds up and can be pulled along like a luggage roller.
I had to have one.

3 days after I had sent payment I received my KOMA from Japan. No assembly required as it was already set up for my weight and height. I rolled off in the parking lot and started pedaling. Much to my surprise the bike felt very stable and comfortable. Though steering is a little faster I quickly adjusted. Gearing is set for leisurely riding, Tour Du Tourtise, and the rear air shock is pretty smooth. It's my first bike to have rear suspension so I do not have anything else to compare it to. But my Mushy Tushy is happy so I'm happy.
Image
Folding this little bike takes all of 30 seconds, handlebars and pedals too! Folding like a collapsing 'N' the bike stands by itself aided by two little roller wheels. These roller wheels are also for rolling about while in the folded configuration.
Image
Check it out on their Google translated webpage.
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... n%26sa%3DG

Hope you've enjoyed the review. I'm still thinking of an A-Bike as I frequent this forum regularly. Nothing beats the folding and portability of the A-Bike.

Keep 'er Rubber Side down!!
Norman :shock:
Last edited by Archer-ca on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keep 'er Rubber Side down!!
Archer-ca
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Scarborough

Postby kenwshmt2 on Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:14 pm

How fast can you get it to go?


.. and it looks over engineered.
User avatar
kenwshmt2
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:37 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA

Postby Archer-ca on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:17 am

kenwshmt2 wrote:How fast can you get it to go?


.. and it looks over engineered.


Over engineered? How so? Too many Chainrings? :D I like the overall look of the KOMA. It's certainly unique.

Speed wise I haven't hooked up a speedo just yet. I have a Vetta wireless but it's range is too short. I am waiting on delivery of another wired computer and will get back to you on it's speed.

Riding wise it seems to be accommodating to various grades with the 3 speed gearing. Top speed wise I don't think I would want to go any faster as it gets a bit scary and the brakes won't lock up on the 6" rims.

Stay tune for the top speed in a week or so...

Norman
Keep 'er Rubber Side down!!
Archer-ca
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Scarborough

Postby Garry on Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:24 pm

Thank you for that, it looks very interesting! I'd love to try one out.
User avatar
Garry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:58 pm
Location: UK

Postby kenwshmt2 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:39 am

I like the two back wheels for standing the bike upright, I will have to fabricate something similar for the a-bike.
User avatar
kenwshmt2
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:37 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA

Finally an Update!!

Postby Archer-ca on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:02 pm

Finally an Update!!

After custom mounting a magnet to the front hub for my "Planet Bike Protege 9' computer I was able to measure out speed, distance, AND temperature. Nice little speedo I must say.

And now the answer some of you have been waiting for. If your in good shape (which I'm not) and ride regularly (which I don't) you would be able to push the KOMA 3 Speed upwards of 25+ km/h. I was able to top out at 26 km/h for a brief moment.

So there you have it. From the dozen times or so I've rode the KOMA I still enjoy it immensely. BUT it is rather larger than the A-Bike and not as easy to carry onto public transit.

Cheers,

Norman

Edit by Weakling to make search better.
Keep 'er Rubber Side down!!
Archer-ca
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Scarborough

Postby Weakling on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:08 pm

If one could afford it it sure looks great and the suspension may give the owner a smother ride for sure. I like the way it behaves when it's folded.

You bought that one from Japan to England. I wonder if that would make it easier for me to get my Carryme through Japan to Sweden or is it best to take it from Taiwan to Sweden?

anyway thanks for the review and pics and the link to the google translation.
User avatar
Weakling
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:01 pm
Location: Sweden

Postby Archer-ca as Guest on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:28 pm

Weakling wrote:If one could afford it it sure looks great and the suspension may give the owner a smother ride for sure. I like the way it behaves when it's folded.

You bought that one from Japan to England. I wonder if that would make it easier for me to get my Carryme through Japan to Sweden or is it best to take it from Taiwan to Sweden?

anyway thanks for the review and pics and the link to the google translation.


Hi Weakling.

Glad you enjoyed the review and pics. Yes, it does give a very smooth ride once you've dialed in the shock for your weight. I get lots of double takes when I roll on by on the sidewalks around the neighbourhood.

Unfortunately I have to sell this little wonder bike on Ebay now. Hope she goes to a good home.

Cheers!

Norman
Archer-ca as Guest
 

question needs answering

Postby gene on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:21 pm

i really like the koma bike however will my weight be a problem at 210lbs
gene
 

Postby Weakling on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:36 pm

Norman did you manage to sell it?

I've found a bike that could be inspired by smartcog Koma in how it folds.

A much simpler bike but to my untrained eyes the thinking is a bit same.

I know others don't agree with me but that could due to be having so
little experience in designing folders. :)


Image

Mini-Bike is such generic name. Not sure what the real name for it is.
User avatar
Weakling
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:01 pm
Location: Sweden

Postby Archer-ca on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:54 pm

Weakling wrote:Norman did you manage to sell it?

I've found a bike that could be inspired by smartcog Koma in how it folds.

A much simpler bike but to my untrained eyes the thinking is a bit same.

I know others don't agree with me but that could due to be having so
little experience in designing folders. :)


Image

Mini-Bike is such generic name. Not sure what the real name for it is.


Woweeee! Good find, Weakling!! :shock: That look's like KOMA's little brother!! :lol: Yes, the design is very similar in folding into a letter "N". What brand is it?

No, unfortunately I did not sell the KOMA yet. I am considering to sell for a little bit less now. If anyone is interested they can PM me with a reasonable offer. 8)

Cheers!

Norman
Keep 'er Rubber Side down!!
Archer-ca
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Scarborough

Postby Weakling on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:59 pm

Thanks, yes it is more like a little brother trying to mimic his more
engineer type brother and making a mock up of what he remembers
before his brother thrown him out to play Basket Ball or whatever.

The little brother not remembering all the details and making a simpler thing.

Brand. Hm have to look it up again. :) I get back. Here it is:
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/cngreen/product-detailDeCxWXTMnmcj/China-Mini-Bike-Folding-Bike-YQ-010-.html

Quoting
Company Name: Zhejiang Yongqing Industry And Trade Co., Ltd.
Company Address: No. 252, Xizhong East Road, Hardware City,
Yongkang, Jinhua, Zhejiang, China
City/Province: Jinhua/Zhejiang
Country/Region: China
Zip/Postal Code: 321300
Telephone Number: 86-579-87217733
Fax Number: 86-579-87217773
Contact Person: Mr Qi
Position: General Manager

so either they use the generic name Mini Bike
as the product name or they don't tell or me
fail to see it. The YQ-10 is the number that the
ad add to it. that is not chosen by the company.
User avatar
Weakling
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:01 pm
Location: Sweden

Postby Archer-ca on Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:19 pm

Weakling wrote:Thanks, yes it is more like a little brother trying to mimic his more
engineer type brother and making a mock up of what he remembers
before his brother thrown him out to play Basket Ball or whatever.

The little brother not remembering all the details and making a simpler thing.

Brand. Hm have to look it up again. :) I get back. Here it is:
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/cngreen/product-detailDeCxWXTMnmcj/China-Mini-Bike-Folding-Bike-YQ-010-.html

Quoting
Company Name: Zhejiang Yongqing Industry And Trade Co., Ltd.
Company Address: No. 252, Xizhong East Road, Hardware City,
Yongkang, Jinhua, Zhejiang, China
City/Province: Jinhua/Zhejiang
Country/Region: China
Zip/Postal Code: 321300
Telephone Number: 86-579-87217733
Fax Number: 86-579-87217773
Contact Person: Mr Qi
Position: General Manager

so either they use the generic name Mini Bike
as the product name or they don't tell or me
fail to see it. The YQ-10 is the number that the
ad add to it. that is not chosen by the company.


Now that's a thorough reply! Thank you for the details! I looked around the website and noticed they also have a knock off of the A-Bike! :shock:

Norman
Keep 'er Rubber Side down!!
Archer-ca
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Scarborough

Postby Weakling on Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:14 pm

they also have a knock off of the A-Bike!


Yes it is surprising cause dealers have been dealt with when they did.

So could it be about how one present the bike.
(I'm only guessing ) If they say it is the original
then they get busted but if they name it something
else then maybe the copyright protection is less strong?

I mean the name is protected but the pattern, how it folds
maybe are not? Strida could have protected how it folds?

I wonder how George Lin thought about his Carryme.
Has he protected how it folds?

Maybe Amuro or Garry knows more?
User avatar
Weakling
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:01 pm
Location: Sweden

Postby Amuro Lee on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:36 pm

Weakling wrote:Maybe Amuro or Garry knows more?

Actually, I know nothing about it. :oops:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
User avatar
Amuro Lee
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:24 pm
Location: Hong Kong

Next

Return to Off Topic Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests

cron