About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

chain snapped and gone!

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

chain snapped and gone!

Postby steve_g_as_guest on Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:43 pm

hi
had my a-bike form oct 01 2007 the chain snapped and has been lost on the road somewhere...it's the smaller chain from the pedal crank not the final drive chain on the wheel...

i've only had this for a few weeks and have ridden around 130miles in total commuting back n forth to work

is chains snapping a known thing on the a-bike and would it be covered by warranty as it's not even 8 weeks old?

i'll email mayhem about this but i do not know of any bike dealer who can fix it...Halfords were not interested for example...

i live near to leicester and nottingham so if anyone knows of a cycle repair shop who WOULD be able to fix it then please post here or email me!

steve g
steve_g_as_guest

Postby newcross on Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:40 pm

Hi, as far as I know, none of bike shops in UK is happy to see a customer bringing A-bike for repair. However, if we bring a part of it which they are familiar with, that's a whole different story. So, in this case, you just need to buy a chain from a shop and ask the shop to shoten it for you. :D

What you need to get is

A chain for 8-speed (1/8 is the one A-bike uses, but narrower 3/32 can also be equipped I believe.)

then shorten it according to the pic below. It's best to print it out and show it to the shop.

Of course, all these are only possible if you are willing to open A-bike's gear box and put the chain back by yourself. If not, I recommend you to phone Mayhem instead of e-mailing them.
newcross

Postby newcross on Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:44 pm

I hope your problem isn't caused by mid-cog breakage like Amuro experienced.
http://www.abikecentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635
newcross

Postby cresshead on Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:59 pm

thanks for the info...i'll give them a call on monday
steve gilbert
cresshead

Postby Guest on Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:26 am

just spoke to them on the phone, they're having it picked up tomorrow
so should be back on the road in a week or so :D

Return to General Discussion