About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

How to tell if an A-Bike is real or fake

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

Re: How to tell if an A-Bike is real or fake

Postby Jelwie on Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:00 am

Dear Mr Lee,

Thanks for your link, they are forever out of stock and the selling price is more expensive than A-Bike UK website with freight charges.

:cry:
Jelwie

Postby Amuro Lee on Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:19 pm

Jelwie wrote:Dear Mr Lee,

Thanks for your link, they are forever out of stock and the selling price is more expensive than A-Bike UK website with freight charges.

:cry:

Oh... :oops: :roll:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Postby Jelwie on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:12 am

Finally, I got my A-Bike from the official website, it is expensive but it is fun and it attracts a lot of attention on the road. Guess if I get it from the ebay seller, I will be having sleepless night wondering if it is real or fake. A peace of mind at last.
Jelwie

Postby Peetee on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Hi,

Ive just found this site,I wish I had found it earlier!
Ive just bought what I thought was an A bike off ebay but its a fake!
I paid £90 for it too!
Just one question are these fakes safe to ride or shall I just bin it?!

Cheers

Pete
Peetee

Postby 190E.sg on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi Pete,

Can you describe the quality and did you really tried to ride it? Appreciate some comments.
Thanks
190E.sg

Postby Peetee on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi,

I dunno yet I havent received it.

As soon as it arrives I will let you know.

Cheers

Pete
Peetee

Postby Guest on Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:14 am

Peetee wrote:Hi,

I dunno yet I havent received it.

As soon as it arrives I will let you know.

Cheers

Pete

Hi,

I think you do not have to worry too much, may be what you are buying is real. If you keep thinking it is fake, it will be fake.

I wanted to save some $ as I needed 2 and have been sourcing around but ended up bought both from A-Bike official website, someone ever tell me that he is too poor to buy cheap things as most cheap products never last and you have to spend another sum of $ to buy the better one and ended up paying more.

For myself, if I am buy something expensive like LV, I will buy them at the local shop only and I am oversea regardless how cheap they can be. In the local shop, I don't have to commit immediately and that give me ample thing to think about it and compare especially with the limited resources ($) I have and I can return to the shop easily to exchange if the product is faulty and lastly, nice to walk in, being served by well trained staff and walk out with nice carrier. :D

Ok, back to the 2 A-Bikes + I bought, delivery was fast but the packing were horrible, no cushion foam were used to protect both from damage and packing used were those ugly looking boxes that totally were out of shape when arrived my home, guess this is the worst packing I have ever seen. I shop online very often and even normal ebay seller can do a proper packing with lots of cushioning on the products, I ordered 2 bags but one of them is torn and I have brought it up to A-Bike but no reply from them for almost a week, so... what's the point of getting a real one when they don't support their customer at all... :?

Anyway, wish you luck and merry Xmas.

Postby Peetee on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:08 pm

Well I got the fake "A-Bicycle" and its rubbish!
The rear end really flexes when you pedal and the tyres are solid so when you ride over the smallest stones the bike tips over!
I am throwing it in the bin and buying a real one!

Cheers

Pete
Peetee

Postby gringoal on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:35 pm

I live in Canada so I think my only way I can obtain a genuine A bike is through ebay in the UK.

I have seen some on Canadian ebay but they are too cheap to be genuine.
After reading through this forum I am still confused about the best way to spot a fake
especially when you cannot inspect the bike personally.

So could somebody tell me who actually manufactures the A bike now? I know that Daka used to make it , in fact it is still on their website http://www.daka.com.hk/products/ and there is a picture of their logo on a bike further down this page. However they have told me they no longer manufacture A Bikes.

I have seen the name Mayhem UK several times here. Are they the manufacturer or just the distributor?

I am asking because If the manufactures logo and serial number were visible, whether it be Daka or anyone else then you could check for a genuine A Bike by checking the serial number with the manufacturer, rather than having to look for the tell tale quality issues listed here.
gringoal

Postby andrewloves on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:21 pm

This one is a clear fake:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-A-Bike-Foldin ... 20ae8f3e92

Wheels are far too big and I think it even says "A-bicycle" on the side :lol:
Attachments
Fake_a-bike.jpg
Fake_a-bike.jpg (61.1 KiB) Viewed 77730 times
andrewloves

Postby andrewloves on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:48 pm

And more fake chinese ones here on Ebay - any colour you like....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0499880693
Attachments
anycolour.jpg
anycolour.jpg (123.01 KiB) Viewed 77728 times
andrewloves

Postby Guest on Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:43 pm

There's a wholesaler called Lightinthebox who is selling A-bikes at non-wholesale price for $169 USD. Would anyone be able to confirm whether this might be authentic?

http://www.lightinthebox.com/Free-Shipp ... 50375.html

Postby frank_c on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:56 am

Well -- I just bought an A-Bike copy with 8 inch wheels off Ebay. It looked very solid and competently put together, until I took it for a spin on a flat bicycle track. The ride (especially with the saddle flexing ever so slightly from the left to the right while riding) felt kind of "wobbly". I have never ridden a genuine A-Bike, so can anyone tell me if this is the case with the original A-Bike as well?

But more importantly, the angle at which the handlebar post is welded to the handlebar is not exactly 90 degrees, which is something I only noticed while riding the bike.
I guess that's one clear tell-tale sign of shoddy craftsmanship...

Frank, The Hague
Last edited by frank_c on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
frank_c

Postby Amuro Lee on Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:32 am

Guest wrote:There's a wholesaler called Lightinthebox who is selling A-bikes at non-wholesale price for $169 USD. Would anyone be able to confirm whether this might be authentic?

http://www.lightinthebox.com/Free-Shipp ... 50375.html

No, this is definitely not authentic.

airness1977 wrote:I don't understand then why the other user of the forum said the "Qing Da" tyres brand were FAKE...?

Since the post was posted long time ago, the "Qing Da" tyres were only used on fake A-bikes when the poster said this. The "Qing Da" tyres have been using on genuine A-bikes since the "Plus" version.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Postby hockinsk on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:46 pm

I've read this thread a few times, but no mention of what is physically different between a real and a fake A-Bike? Only discussion seems to be stickers and perhaps build quality, but what are the actual differences in materials & components please?
hockinsk

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion