About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

[A-Bike City] First impressions

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

[A-Bike City] First impressions

Postby Eukleides on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:55 pm

Hello

My A-Bike City was delivered today, and I just took it for a 15-mn spin.

Here's my report as compared to the CarryMe SD and a regular bike:

• The A-Bike is very hard to ride, as it has a very strong tendency to go sideways; It takes constant strength to have it go straight ahead. I was a bit tired at the end of that 15mn ride. I really didn't feel safe with cars passing me by
  • The handlebars are really too small; I guess making them longer would partly correct this balance issue
  • As you slow down (not that you can go fast on that thing), you'll lose balance really quickly and must put your foot down or you'll fall
  • The front wheel makes some noise as it spins. Maybe it's just mine and it needs some tweaking
  • Although the pedals work just like other folding bikes, I failed putting the pedals back to their initial position. Pressing inwards doesn't work
  • The four screws at the center are protruding and keep hurting the rider's thighs, even with jeans:

Unless I missed some tweaking to make this bike more stable, at this point, I feel like I just wasted 350€ :roll:

HTH,
Attachments
a_bike.jpg
Those screws hurt
a_bike.jpg (8.68 KiB) Viewed 18579 times
Eukleides

Re: [A-Bike City] First impressions

Postby Eukleides on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:11 pm

I found how to fold the pedals: Unlike the CarryMe, you must first use your thumb to pull the thingie (sorry for the technical word) inside the pedal before pushing and folding it.

It appears that Mayhem has a 30-day return policy, so hopefully I'll be able to get a refund.
Eukleides

Postby Amuro Lee on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:10 pm

Before you ride an A-bike, you have to inflate the tyres up to 90psi. Otherwise, the rolling resistance makes you hard to pedal.

Although A-bike is hard to ride comparing with other traditional bikes or folding bikes, I still like it. :mrgreen:
It is not a bike for touring or leisure and only suitable for short-distance rides. However, I found it very effective for multi-modal commute. :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOadFVB9JVU

Of course, it is a compromise on the handling and ride comfort in order to make it folded in such a small package as well as a quick and convenient folding.

Different bikes have different handling characteristics to which everyone ride on a new bike has to take time to get used, I think.
http://www.a-bike.co.uk/?qa_faqs=q-the-steering-seems-a-bit-twitchy-on-first-use-why-is-this

Many people find that it is hard and unstable to ride a unicycle while some people enjoy riding their unicycles very much. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXx5sJ6vyaA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Postby Eukleides on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:23 am

Thanks for the infos. I didn't check the pressure on the tires (they looked fine, and the bike being brand new, I didn't even think they might need extra air), but found it just too unstable to ride safely on the road, any hole or bump on the road is a killer, and it takes too much strength to keep straight or go over hills with even a very small slope.

I guess this bike is fine for use on bicycle lanes for very short rides with no need to carry anything. I understand why the industry has pretty much standardized on 20" wheels.

This said, it's a very slick design. Great piece of work.
Eukleides

Postby Abiker on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:37 pm

Hi I am from Singapore and I just received my a bike city yesterday.

After a thorough check, I was off to a 10km ride. Initially the bike feels wobbly and difficult to control but after 3 km I was enjoying the ride( except for my buttocks)

It's true that the stock seat has to be change, likewise for the seat post length. I cycle straight to a bike shop to change it after the ride.

It takes a lot of focus to ride the bike. Personally I don't like riding on roads cause it's not safe(even with my roadie). Singapore has got strict rules on cycling on pedestrian walkways, but I suppose with wheels like the a bike, I can't possibly get fined ya!

I got a crazy idea of completing a triathlon on the A bike.
Abiker

Postby Garry on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:41 am

Thats a funny idea and could be great publicity for the A-Bike. Go on then, and take lots of photos for us! :D
Garry
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion