About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

Loose chain

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

Postby newcross on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:16 pm

I just realised a mistake in my post.

A-bike uses "25H" chain!!!!! and NOT "25"!!

Silly me. :oops:

newcross wrote:The chain is usually very tight with "M" setting and this seems to be a factory setting.

Then once it became loose, people turn the tensioner to "H", but interestingly, most of people found their chain wasn't loose enough for "H" setting. (i.e. "H" was too tight.)

I just found our member Leonarhodo experienced the same thing recently. (see below.)
http://leonarhodo.exblog.jp/5765489#5765489_1

If the secondary (lower) chain tension is really loose and "H" position doesn't help it, then you might need to remove a link from the chain as Oleg suggested, or replace the chain itself.

You can always ask your A-bike distributer to supply the chain.

Alternatively, replace it by your self.

The chain is called "#25" and used by minimote, pocket bike, etc.

Search for "#25 chain" under "sporting goods" category to find the listing on eBay UK.

There are some minimoto parts retailers who offer chain cutter and half-link for #25. I had a url of one of these, but cannot find... sorry. If you google "#25 chain", you should be able to find some more info on this.

#25 chain has two different thickness. one is normal #25, and another is thicker, heavier #25H (H stands for High durability or something like that.) I guess A-bike uses normal #25.
newcross

Re: Loose chain

Postby rongood on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:18 pm

actually the problem with the loose/tight chain is not a problem with the chain at all. It is the narrow gap between the rear wheel's tyre and the black plastic crankcase housing. The chain, as all bicycle chain will, is going to stretch some. This is not necessarily bad. But the housing has a nasty lip or ridge that makes it difficult or impossible for the chain to fall quietly between the housing and the tyre. Then you might get the clanging and clunking of the chain bouncing off the tyre and the housing, or worse the chain might get caught between the tyre and the housing, causing terrible damage to the tyre or chain. I shaved off this offending ridge and voila!! no more chain problems. I have attached some photos which I hope will show what I mean...
abike fix 9D.jpg
here you see the ridge on the housing, in this photo just left of the chain
abike fix 9D.jpg (35.6 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
abike fix 7D.jpg
after shaving off the ridge, in this photo to the right of the chain, now there is room for the chain
abike fix 7D.jpg (37.33 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
rongood

Previous

Return to General Discussion