About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

Children trailer

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

Children trailer

Postby bindo on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:12 pm

OK,

I've been postponing this for years now.
But today I was stolen my seventh (7th !!!!) bike in less than 4 years.

Enough.
So I'm buying an A-bike and never leaving it outside. Ever.

Rationality though still kicks in. Reason I was postponing is that I ride to school my 2 children on a trailer.
Anyone have experience with trailers and A-bikes? is it as bad an idea as it seems?

This hitch looks promising, though I haven't evidence it would fit.
http://www.carryfreedom.com/hitch.html#2
also : the a-bike's axel look too low....

Another Idea would be adding a latch on the rear tube or better a fixed bar (to avoid interference with the pedals. But I guess it would complicate folding alot.

I don't want to buy a strida. Too big and stupidly explensive. for 600 euros I can afford being robbed a 90 euro bike every six months :evil:

thanks
bindo

Re: Children trailer

Postby Amuro Lee on Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:06 am

bindo wrote:...I don't want to buy a strida. Too big and stupidly explensive. for 600 euros I can afford being robbed a 90 euro bike every six months :evil:

Would you consider the CarryMe? :wink:
http://forum.hometec.com.tw/viewtopic.php?t=789
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Postby Stevbike on Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:14 am

I think that due to the size of the A-bike, a childs trailer would be pushing what the bike was designed for. There are factors like the rear drive train section clearances, the strength of the drive-train itself, the strength of the braking system to stop the added weight of the bike and trailer are some of the reasons of really thinking about doing this. I can see you getting a larger folder that could use the attachment part used on attaching a trailer to it. The bike would not fold as well as the A-bike but would work better for your problem. There should be some reasonably priced folders that can meet the needs you are looking for. My two cents worth.

stevbike
Stevbike

Postby bindo on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:26 am

stev,
you are right that the a-bike would be pushing it. The kids would be doing only 1.5 km though and not in car traffic.

I had a low cost, cheap (80euro) and badly kept no brand chinese folder. Liked it though, had 3 speeds and shock absorbers.

I left it chained in a bike parking in a centre town square yesterday for 2 hours. gone.

the A bike would simply never ever be left around.so I've already been down the road of a different folder. Extremely good folding comes at a very hefty price. Abike is unbeatable there (although the new bike is sweet its also more expensive).

But I already know that if I get a different bike. It will have to be left alone once in a while. It will get stolen.

@Amuro: I would consider the carry-me. But the wheels look the same, why not an Abike ?
A kids trailer is bigger and possibly would need to fix a little higher.

Is it you in the photo ?
If its you how does the folded carry-me compare to the abike ? How much weight have you lugged on the trailer?

thanks
Alberto
bindo

Postby Amuro Lee on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:43 pm

bindo wrote:@Amuro: I would consider the carry-me. But the wheels look the same, why not an Abike ?
A kids trailer is bigger and possibly would need to fix a little higher.

Is it you in the photo ?
If its you how does the folded carry-me compare to the abike ? How much weight have you lugged on the trailer?

thanks
Alberto

No, It's not me in the photo.

Here is a brief comparison between the A-bike and the CarryMe DS. :wink:
http://www.abikecentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=584

Cheers
Amuro
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Postby Stevbike on Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:35 pm

Alberto

I got thinking about the trailer on the bike. Although I still think it is too light of a bike for trailer use, I am going to draw up a design for a trailer hitch that could be attached on to the bike to allow a trailer to be put on. On saying this, I do not know how well it would work out. It could be used for a small, light weight trailer but not for pulling kids in the end. I will try to get it up later today or tomorrow.

Maybe Garry can read about this topic and pass it on to the designers of the bike for final comment. They should know if this idea is really worth looking into any further. They could then sent a reply back here.

I would look into trying to find a good bike lock myself. It is just too bad that some people just do not really care about others and feel the need to steal things like bikes. I have had it happen too and it is not nice when it does happen.

stevbike
Stevbike

Postby Stevbike on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Attached are two drawings I said I would do. The basic idea is to use the three fastners closest to the wheel and create a small part to allow the clearance needed rear wheel and pedals allowing a small trailer to be pulled by the bike. It is just a thought. Enjoy!
Attachments
A-BIKE HITCHbb.JPG
A-BIKE HITCHbb.JPG (403.5 KiB) Viewed 18406 times
A-BIKE HITCHaa.JPG
Concept A-bike trailer hitch adaptor drawing
A-BIKE HITCHaa.JPG (425.92 KiB) Viewed 18421 times
Stevbike

Postby bindo on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:15 am

What can I say ?

WOW!!!!

(and thanks for all that work)

I dont have enough expertize to know if the A-bike can handle the static trailer weight and/or stess the this way.

But I would say so! The place where the trailer hitches is nearly at balance in a static setup.

2 comments:

I would have the hitching point higher. Most trailers connect at the center of a normal bike. So having a higher point would put the trailer in a more balanced position.

I don't know how much the dynamic behaviour of the abike would be affected.

Still ...
If this works, I believe, there could be quite a market. Not only for children's trailers, but for small foldable stuff trailes.
The piece looks quite inexpensive to manufacture. I know I would be willing to pay quite a few for this funtionality.
below 50 euros ( quite high I guess) would be an immediate buy.

Even if you have to go really slowly it would really be useful.
I bring my kids to school. park the trailer there, move on to mass transit ...
Figure out the shopping side... even more interesting.
bindo

Postby Stevbike on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 pm

All I can say is that this is just a idea drawing so changes can be made. There could be a lot problems to over come but in the end this could be a very useful addition to the aftermarket A-bike market. Hopefully, at a least a small, light weight trailer could used with the A-bike making it more usefull for carried a light load of food, etc. Maybe a small folding trailer that is as thoughtful as the A-bike design.

stevbike
Stevbike

Return to General Discussion