About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

A-bike vs, normal folding bike

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

A-bike vs, normal folding bike

Postby Stevbike on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:45 pm

I went out for a short ride to pick up some bread. Instead of taking my A-bike copy, I took my girlfriends Schwin Tango folding bike. I noted the amount of time needed to complete the trip. It was the same as the one I did on the 19th of Sept. this year. The trip took the same route as the last A-bike ride I did so the data I get reflected a acurrate measure. The only difference is the time of the ride was not formally timed on the Schwin as it is not equipped with cycling computer but the guessed time is pretty close based on the times I left the house, time stayed in the store I went to and the time I got into the house.

Both bikes had the same average speed of 13 kph. The Schwin uses a low gearing ratio as it's highest gear setting, I am guessing about a 2 to 1 ratio so the two bikes are using about the same gear ratio. It just goes to show that the tire size is not the determining speed on a bike. The Schwin rode nicer on the air filled 20" tires but the higher handle bar was not to my liking. I like the riding postion on the A-bike design better.

stevbike
Attachments
Graphic2.jpg
A-bike with Schwin folding bike.
Graphic2.jpg (269.3 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
Stevbike

Return to General Discussion