About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

2010 spring ride

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

2010 spring ride

Postby Stevbike on Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:42 am

Hello all list members and quests.

Spring like weather is coming and so is cycling weather. I took out my A-bike for a ride around Stratford. Ontario, the place where I am living now. I did a 6 km ride on a nice evening. The bike has 118 km on it now and is still holding up well. Anyone in the Stratford area thinking getting either thwe original version (the best option as far as support goes) or a copy version is welcome to see my bike to get an idea of what the bike is about. For those people looking a getting one, please feel free to ask any member about how they like their bike. They make for an interesting ride.

On another note, I e-mailed the people running the list and have been given the chance of being moderater so any time others do not get the spam that has been coming up off, I can now do this as well. I just need to know how the get into sites operating side of things to start this up. In the mean time, enjoy the posts about this bike that have been written and if you are thinking of getting one of these great little bikes have fun. They make for a different, fun, ride.

stevbike
Stevbike

Re: 2010 spring ride

Postby 190E.sg on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:21 pm

Nice to hear from you again. Glad that you can be a moderator and keep those spams out. I was fed up actually and did not visit this site for a while.

I have fitted a wireless bike computer (only $8.00 from eBay) and now I can check riding speed, avg speed, distance traveled and total distance done. I will post pic of the installation later.

cheers
190E.sg

Postby Stevbike on Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:40 pm

190E.sg wrote:Nice to hear from you again. Glad that you can be a moderator and keep those spams out. I was fed up actually and did not visit this site for a while.

I have fitted a wireless bike computer (only $8.00 from eBay) and now I can check riding speed, avg speed, distance traveled and total distance done. I will post pic of the installation later.

cheers

Nice to here from you. The computer lets you see just far and how long you are on it. I would like to see some times and distances posted as well as pictures of the mounting of the unit. I mounted a wired computer on to my A-bike and find it very useful for information on bike use.

It would be great to see some long term riders reports on theese bike to see how well they are holding up under use. Today is a bit cold again but I rode my homebuilt recumbent (the distance was bit too far for the A-bike) but the A-bike is on the list of bikes to ride this year!

stevbike
Stevbike

Postby 190E.sg on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:22 pm

Have not seen your home build bike. After learning from the A-Bike, I begin to have an interest in building my own folding bike for longer distance ride. I have looked at most of the folding bikes on the internet and have some kind of idea to construct one. I have also found supplier for aluminum tubes. I hope to learn from your experience in building your bike.
190E.sg

Postby Stevbike on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:19 pm

190E.sg wrote:Have not seen your home build bike. After learning from the A-Bike, I begin to have an interest in building my own folding bike for longer distance ride. I have looked at most of the folding bikes on the internet and have some kind of idea to construct one. I have also found supplier for aluminum tubes. I hope to learn from your experience in building your bike.

The link to my web page is at http://www.xcelco.on.ca/~stevbike/. It shows the basics of how I build my bikes.

As far as building a folding bike, I would look into buying one instead. It would cost more get equipment to build the bike then to buy one. The time needed to put it together would be greater as well. There some great quality folding bikes like Brompton http://www.brompton.co.uk/page.asp?p=3072 that give the ride quality of a full sized bike for longer range communting while allowing the A-bike to be used for it's design task of short range trips.

I can pass on some info about the basics of recumbent bike building. I can do this off this site as this does not relate the the A-bike. Contact me at stevbike@hotmail.com for anything relating to this subject. I have lots to pass on.

In the mean time, carry on using the A-bike as well seeing it is a great communter bike to ride.

stevbike
Stevbike

Postby Stevbike on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:27 pm

I did a nice medium distance ride yesterday. It was 8 km long. I averaged 13 kph speed. The bike is holding up well. The more I ride it, the more I enjoy it.

stevbike
Stevbike

Postby Stevbike on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:58 pm

The weather here in Stratford, ON Canada is shaping up well. The weather is warming up nicely!
I did a nice 9.3 km rides today. The average speed was 12 kph. I managed 25 kph on some down hill sections. The riding time was 47 minutes. The frame is holding up good as well.I had to tighten up the seat on the seat post due to the rough ride the bike has. It loosen the bolt. I carry the tools supplied bike to allow on the spot repairs like this.

Just to see how this compares to another ride I did on my road last week, I rode the same distance in 35 minutes at an average speed of 18.5 kph. The smaller A-bike holds up well to the larger full-sized bike.

As the weather gets better in you area's where you live, I hope that you are getting out on your A-bike or any other bike you own. My goal is to get about another 100 km on the A-bike in the next few weeks. That will put the bike up to 200 km on it. It is holding up great so far.
Stevbike

Return to General Discussion