About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

A-Bike Unsafe?

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

A-Bike Unsafe?

Postby ayx on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:29 am

This morning my A-bike hit something and I flew face first into the road. Luckily there were no cars or buses behind me or I would have been flattened. However, what I noticed as I scrambled to the pavement was that the bike had refolded itself - ie the central lock had undone itself and the two wheels had come together. It was clearly this, more than the bump in the road that caused my face to be messed up this morning.

Has anyone else experienced this? It makes me hugely reluctant to ride the A-bike again if it is liable to fold like this again when encountering a small obstacle.
ayx

Re: A-Bike Unsafe?

Postby Stevbike on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:04 pm

I have used mine on some very bumpy roads without the centre folding bar unlocking. Look at the lock section at the centre of the folding bar. Make sure the spring that holds the bottom mounting is locking the plate holding the section locked shut. It should lock this plate into the front and rear sections. I could be that the spring in no longer locking this plate and is allowing the bottom section to move and fold the bike. The large bump allowed this section to unlock. If that is the case, I would stop using the bike.

See if there is any way of repairing it. If not, I would look into getting another one if you like the design. Do some looking around the net to see if others reported the same problem before ordering a replacement.

Contact the A-bike people as well to report a possible quality problem. Given the recall on the Toyota cars have had, this could be very serious design problem on the A-bike.

stevbike
Stevbike

Postby Guest on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:33 pm

Of course the A-Bike is unsafe, the tiny wheels say all.

Postby Stevbike on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:04 pm

Guest wrote:Of course the A-Bike is unsafe, the tiny wheels say all.

Have ever used one of these bike? I have and if used for there designed purpose, they work fine. They are not designed for medium or long trips, just short distances. If you live in areas that have bad road or busy conditions, riding any bike will be unsafe. It is just a matter of using your judgement to see if conditions are safe or not. I would say go out and try one to see how it works for you before passing any kind if view on it.

stevbike
Stevbike

Postby ayx on Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:42 am

Before the bike folded I had successfully navigated several km of much rougher road so it was most unexpected.

I'll check it out this weekend. Haven't been to keen to use it for the last couple of days.
ayx

Postby Stevbike on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:49 pm

ayx wrote:Before the bike folded I had successfully navigated several km of much rougher road so it was most unexpected.

I'll check it out this weekend. Haven't been to keen to use it for the last couple of days.

Just check out that the locking plate on the bike frame is holding before using it again. See that the locking plate is holding the bottom section tight. Then if that is working take it out for a spin. Overall it is a nice fun bike to ride.

stevbike
Stevbike

Postby 190E.sg on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:33 pm

It is important that you check the cross piece is in complete lock position before you ride the bike. Otherwise the bike might fold if hit a rough bump. Also all the quick release clamps should be in the lock position.
190E.sg

Postby gganio on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:08 pm

Yes, with these small wheeled bicycles you have to pay extra attention. However the good news is that if you stick the front wheel in a hole, then you tend to jump in front of the bike and to fall on you feet (as long as you ride slower then you can run). With the kick scooter or longboards, on the other hand, if you stick the front wheel in a hole, then you tend to pivot from you feet and to slam face first.
gganio

Postby Guest on Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:34 pm

Stevbike wrote:
Guest wrote:Of course the A-Bike is unsafe, the tiny wheels say all.

Have ever used one of these bike?

No, and I won't. If I already get stuck into the tramway rails with an usual three-speed bike when turning, I won't even be able to cross them sideways with an A-Bike.

Postby gganio on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:59 pm

No, and I won't. If I already get stuck into the tramway rails with an usual three-speed bike when turning, I won't even be able to cross them sideways with an A-Bike.

Where are you from Guest? There aren't many towns with tramways. A three speed bike is not usual. Were you meaning a 27 speed bike?
In my hometown there are tramway rails. To cross them with 6" wheels sucks (actually my bike has 4,13" wheels), but it is still easier then on a Fixie. Plus I can get on that tramway if i want to. the fixie can't.
gganio

Return to General Discussion