About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

Supertight rear wheel bolts, can't remove wheel

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

Supertight rear wheel bolts, can't remove wheel

Postby Arayat on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:52 pm

Just got my new A-Bike but before I can ride it I need to fix it first :(
After fixing the front brake, (which was totally bent and had a kink in it) I found that one of the bearing holder screws is completely loose.

The manual doesn't tell me how to tighten them, but I guess I have to take the rear wheel out.
I use a proper ring spanner, but as much as I try, both bolts are far too tight to move. I once swapped a 6 cylinder car engine, so I am not a mechanical newbee.

The edges of the hex head show already signs of deformation from the force I exerted on them (and yes, I turn both in the right direction) .

Is this normal, and what is the trick to unscrew those bolts without breaking your spanner and without damaging the bolt head?
Arayat

Re: Supertight rear wheel bolts, can't remove wheel

Postby rongood on Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:55 pm

Red alert! The manual has the wrong info on removing the rear wheel. Page 24 in your manual says that "the bolt on the right hand side of the bike (also highlighted by a red mark) is Left-hand threaded" WRONG. They have it reversed, causing no end of frustration for owners.
I am sure about this. Here are the correct instructions:
The bolt on the LEFT-hand side of the bike (upright,facing forward) is Left-hand threaded, and loosens by turning clockwise, tightens by turning counter-clockwise. Another interesting way of saying it is that the direction the rear wheel turns when going forward is the same direction used for tightening each bolt: clockwise on the right side and counter-clockwise on the left side.

Unfortunately, you may have over-tightened the bolts in your attempts. You may need a second person to hold the wheel firmly while you apply considerable leverage to turn the bolts, this time, in the correct direction. You may even need to hammer the spanner handle to get it started.

I informed someone at Mayhem about the error shortly after receiving my A-bike Plus, but it was by phone, and I should have put it in an email as well. Whoever i talked to did not follow up, and people are still getting the wrong information in the manual.
rongood

Re: Supertight rear wheel bolts, can't remove wheel

Postby Amuro Lee on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:16 pm

Here's a video teaching how to remove the wheels from an A-bike:
http://abikesupport.ning.com/video/1184976:Video:130
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Return to General Discussion