About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

News on the A-Bike Plus

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

News on the A-Bike Plus

Postby Garry on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:49 am

As you know from other posts here, the A-Bike Plus now exists and has been reaching a few customers, thanks to early air freight deliveries.

I have had an update from Mayhem about this. They are going to make the official launch announcement once they have received their main sea shipment. That is expected to be around the end of September.

They also report that:

The new made in Taiwan version has many small improvements but the major ones are:
New BMX grade layshaft and freewheel assembly. "Pheasant" branded.
Acetol not nylon bearings to avoid swelling with moisture.
Thicker aluminium rear tubes 2.2mm replacing 1.6mm.
A new softer seat.
Included free are air cushion seat cover.
New custom built A-Bike shock pump and tool kit.

This is exciting news, and I'm looking forward to seeing one for myself in the near future!
Garry
Site Admin

Re: News on the A-Bike Plus

Postby djyemi on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:34 am

My Very First A-Bike Plus

Well, after much eager anticipation, my brand new A-Bike Plus that I ordered last week Tuesday arrived yesterday (It was ordered from the A-Bike Plus website, so it is an original) As a matter of fact, I had been dreaming about the A-Bike Plus that when it finally arrived, I opened the box like a child that had just received his christmas present.

Here is what came in it -
-The A Bike Plus (ofcourse)
A Pump ( a bit smaller that I thought it would be)
-A seat cover (took me a while to realise what it was - and I nearly chucked in the bin!)

Anyway, a bit about why I ordered the bike:- I haven't ridden a bike for close to 25 years or so as I drive most times, but a change of circumstance causes me to now catch a bus to the train station (about 1.5 miles each way) and then catch a train to Central London where I work. The buses seem to have a mind of their own i.e. they never come on time when I go to work and in the evenings they don’t seem to come at all (meaning I have to trek back up a hill - phew). I first of all thought of getting a Go-Ped electric scooter but realised that they were illegal on the roads. So after investigating and looking around on this site, I chose the A-Bike.
So back to me receiving the bike, as it was raining heavily last night, after quickly reading the manual in 3 mins - my bad), I decided to quickly go for a spin. I soon realised that I needed to pump up the wheels, so returned home (duuh - well it does say that in the manual). So I went for another ride. To be honest, it wasn’t a pleasant experience. I could never cycle straight. Each time I pedalled, the bike would want to go left. And I really had to put a lot of effort in it. I thought maybe it was my physical build - I am 6ft 3in and also weigh 100kg ( i think) which is about 15Kg over the acceptable weight of the A-Bike Plus, although they did say that it had been tested to a higher weights.
Not wanting to give up, I gave it a few more goes. And then decided to fit the so called re-enforced seat - although its actually a seat cover with some gel in it. Well, it didn’t make much of a difference, even after changing the seat height. And then I eventually gave up.
I've currently got a sore backside and my 'crown jewels' also feel like the last time an ex-girlfriend gave me a kick down there (ooh-yaah!). So much to my disappointment I wasn’t able to ride to the station this morning - my wife wouldn't let me anyway as she says she doesn’t want to become a young widow, so the bike is staying at home for the moment. I think I am too large for the bike, and the moment I start pedalling (or trying to anyway, then it puts stresses on the bike itself, and that was even going down a hill - I had to walk up the hill with it in the end). Also, the bits of plastic at the end of the handle-bars dont appear to have been secured properly - one of them actually came off and this was only having ridden it for less than 10 minutes - maybe a bad build?

But its not all bad news. I still like the A-Bike Plus concept (well, I should do as £200 + is a lot of money, and I am not one to return goods that have been supplied in good faith. I let a kid near my house ride it, and he thought it was extra cool.
So here comes plan b - to convert the A-Bike Plus into an electric version. This is something that I always had in mind anyway as I needed something electric to go up the hills from the station etc and would still not break highway rules. I've seen the electric conversions on this site and managed to contact the guy that advertised his electric kit on You Tube (i.e. EABike@hotmail.com). I managed to speak with him - he is Chinese and doesn’t speak English, so it took a lot of effort explaining what I needed. Eventually, we chatted on MSN - and I had to use Google translator to translate English to Chinese vice versa. We agreed on a price and the total included shipping, batteries, motor etc (i.e a complete kit) came up to £165 (most of the expense was on the shipping costs from China, so the cost of the Kit is probably about £80 or so).
So I am waiting for the electric kit to arrive, once it does, then I'll continue from there. It shouldnt invalidate my warranty because I am not actually screwing into anything - mainly bolt ons.
I think Sir Clive really wants to give a thought on the design of the next A-Bike i.e. an electric version (i.e. there is already a copy of such) on this forum. I really cant see any other way of enjoying An A-Bike Plus if it takes that much effort to get it to go. Either that or I need to go to the gym and loose my excess flab.

Will update you in a few days when the kit arrives from China. Here are pictures of my bike though.

The attachment 03092008099.JPG is no longer available
The attachment 03092008095.JPG is no longer available
The attachment 03092008094.JPG is no longer available
03092008094.JPG
My new A Bike Plus
03092008094.JPG (40.11 KiB) Viewed 13226 times
03092008100.JPG
seat cover, to be placed on seat (or worn as a Cap - if you have a very tiny head!)
03092008100.JPG (35.88 KiB) Viewed 13369 times
03092008099.JPG
Seat remains the same from A Plus MkI so not reinforced
03092008099.JPG (38.44 KiB) Viewed 13387 times
03092008094.JPG
My new A Bike Plus
03092008094.JPG (40.11 KiB) Viewed 13226 times
djyemi

Postby rongood on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:20 am

Just got my new A-bike Plus yesterday, shipped from Mayhem to California. I am keeping my original A-bike as well. So I can report that I have ridden both in the same day, and the Plus does give surer pedaling, without the rattling and clunking that i experience on the old one, due I suppose to the better gear assembly. I appreciate the better back tube because I have cracked one and replaced it on the old bike. They still provide the very short seat post that is too short for even my stature, 5'8". So I am using the one I bought for the first bike. I use my A-bike a lot and am glad to keep a back-up. I keep a rather large day pack slung over the front handlebars, and take my A-bike grocery shopping, putting the folded bike in the shopping cart and loading up the back pack. Then i unfold the bike and put the loaded pack in front (with a tie down strap connected to the back tube for stability) and off I go. I weigh about 155 lbs and can carry up to 30 lbs of groceries. The bike handles extremely well loaded in front. For me the Plus just feels tighter and sturdier, though the differences are few.
Abike Plus Sept 2008 002.jpg
A-bike Plus loaded with groceries. The small blue pouch behind the big pack contains spare wheels and shock pump. there is also a small tool caddy under the seat and a flask on the top bar.
Abike Plus Sept 2008 002.jpg (236.59 KiB) Viewed 13257 times
close up of A bike Sept 2008.jpg
close up of A bike Sept 2008.jpg (142.37 KiB) Viewed 13275 times
Last edited by rongood on Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
rongood

Postby kenwshmt2 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:57 pm

one of your pictures shows an unlocked front clasp..

THIS IS VERY BAD

now I am needing surgery for a 3rd degree shoulder sprain.
I suggest never, ever have that front clasp undone. My bike came down on me on a bike track. As it was slowly ( 60 feet or more ) going down, the brakes went slack, and all I could do was wait to go over the front.

I'm not intending to dampen the enthusiasm of the new bike, which i might try and get my next check, the front clasp is a major health hazard. An open clasp will bring you pain.
kenwshmt2

Postby rongood on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:55 pm

I had two great days riding my new Plus, then the chain started clanging and catching. I watched the video for freewheel and layshaft replacement at A-bike Support Network, and opened up the bike. Everything looks right and the parts are firmly in place. When I put it back together it still had the problem. The chain was nice and taut when i first got the bike, now it is too loose, and it happened suddenly. The chain will actually get caught between the tire and the housing jamming the pedaling. My only rides on the bike were casual level rides and i weigh only 155 lbs, so I'm sure I didn't misuse the bike. I will try to turn the bearings from Medium to High, but it seems wrong that this should loosen so soon, and I know it may be too much stress using the H setting.
Adding to my misery, I can no longer fold the bike completely because the rear brake cable has a kink in it and will fold on itself and jam around the downshaft tube while the bike is folding. Do I need to get a new rear brake cable set and go thru all the work of replacing that? I suppose in any case I must take it all apart and find what got the brake cable caught, which then kinked it. Sadly for now, I am back on my original A-bike and very discouraged about the Plus.
Abike Plus ready for repairs.jpg
Abike Plus ready for repairs.jpg (50.29 KiB) Viewed 13176 times

So I did a full day's work and changed the chain tension from M to H, also replaced the lower part of the back brake cable using the video from A-bike Support Network. Took one good ride on it and it is close to being as good a ride as my old A-bike. It does still have some clattering chain noise and it is a bit more exercise than my other bike. Will see if it makes it on more demanding rides.
rongood

Postby djyemi on Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:12 am

kenwshmt2 wrote:one of your pictures shows an unlocked front clasp..

THIS IS VERY BAD

hi - thanks for the warning. Sorry to hear about your troubles too...

I'll remember this - although I only unfolded the bike early in the morning so that I could take pictures of.

Also, I have now converted my A Bike to electric now - pictures to follow. But I havent ridden it yet cos the rear brake cables have come undone and I havent had the time to tighten it up. As soon as i've done this (and then bought my helmet and reflective vest, then I'll let you know how it went - who knows, I might even post up a video.)
Attachments
motor.jpg
close up of my electric a-bike or ea-bike
motor.jpg (47.08 KiB) Viewed 13091 times
electric pack.jpg
the battery bag pack
electric pack.jpg (40.32 KiB) Viewed 13089 times
electric bike installation.jpg
my electric a-bike
electric bike installation.jpg (48.02 KiB) Viewed 13081 times
djyemi

Postby JazJon on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:42 am

djyemi wrote:Also, I have now converted my A Bike to electric now - pictures to follow. But I havent ridden it yet cos the rear brake cables have come undone and I havent had the time to tighten it up. As soon as i've done this (and then bought my helmet and reflective vest, then I'll let you know how it went - who knows, I might even post up a video.)

How is your Electric A-Bike working out for you? Is it holding up? I'm very interested in converting mine to electric so I just emailed the guy from the youtube video in China. Since he doesnt speak English maybe I can ask you a few questions. Does he send you 100% of every part you need to make this work? I'm willing to DYI as long as I know it will fit and have some directions and or video maybe.
JazJon

Return to General Discussion