About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

Hello all, new A-bike owner (soon to be)

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

Hello all, new A-bike owner (soon to be)

Postby ironpope on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:56 pm

Hi guys & gals, my name's Aaron.

I've been looking for an ultra portable small folder for my next contract, as I am a cruise ship entertainer and I want a bike for going into port. I have an A-bike on it's way to me and I should get it next week.

I'm from the States and haven't made it to Europe yet, though when I do finally get my Med cruise I expect I'll be finding lots of cool bikes in the various countries I'll visit.

I have done much research and ended up getting the A-bike due to it's folded size and weight. On the ship, as one can imagine, you are extremely limited in the amount of gear you can fit into your tiny cabin. I'm pushing it as it is with my guitar and other gear, so the A-bike was the logical choice.

I can't wait to get it, and I'll post some pics of it on my next contract to Alaska.

I look forward to the sharing of information, and I've already gotten lots of tips on the care and feeding of A-bike from the users on this forum. Talk to you soon!

thanks,
aaron
See you out there!
myspace.com/aaronjnoone
ironpope

Postby Sherlock Holmes on Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:37 am

Welcome to the world of A-biking, Mr. Ironpope.

It sounds like the A-bike will be just right for you on the cruise ships. I look forward to hearing how it works out for you in all the Alaskan ports.

Please do post photos when you have them.

How long are your contracts?
Sherlock Holmes

Postby ironpope on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:20 pm

Sherlock Holmes wrote:Welcome to the world of A-biking, Mr. Ironpope.

It sounds like the A-bike will be just right for you on the cruise ships. I look forward to hearing how it works out for you in all the Alaskan ports.

Please do post photos when you have them.

How long are your contracts?

Thankyou sir, the contracts are around 4 months, generally. I requested a shorter contract this time and ended up with 3 months. My new ship is stationed in Seattle, which I'm really looking forward to. I used to live in San Francisco and I loved it.
See you out there!
myspace.com/aaronjnoone
ironpope

Postby ironpope on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:22 pm

aaaaaand it's a fake. sending it back. :x
See you out there!
myspace.com/aaronjnoone
ironpope

Postby Sherlock Holmes on Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:08 pm

Aw no! That really stinks. I am sorry that that happened. Did they let you return it without any problems?

That is really frustrating. :(
Sherlock Holmes

Postby ironpope on Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:14 pm

Yeah, they're giving me a full refund. I got it on ebay and the seller listed it as the original Sinclair A-bike, all the info was for the a bike, and they made no attempt to tell bidders that the bike they would actually be receiving was a cheap imitation.

So I basically told them that I knew what they were doing and they offered me a full refund. They also offered to send me a hundred bucks and I keep the bike, but it's so flimsy I would never trust it.

So, any advice as to where to get one here in the US would be greatly appreciated.

The only other bike I'd be interested in is the Carryme, but that seems just as hard to come by.
See you out there!
myspace.com/aaronjnoone
ironpope

Postby Weakling on Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:43 pm

Look in http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221

for those living in US who have bought Carryme. I know one can buy it in England but maybe that is more expensive than to get it directly to US?

I live in Sweden and have almost same problem as you. No dealer here have CM.
Weakling

Re: Hello all, new A-bike owner (soon to be)

Postby beingv on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:27 am

Hi Ironpope,

I'm from the states as well, New Jersey to be exact. I just purchased my official A-bike on craigslist.com from a woman who purchased it directly from Mayhem UK. She had receipts and all documentation. She was disappointed with the A-bike because she thought it would be more like a traditional folding bike so she listed it on Craigslist and bought a Brompton. Since A-bikes aren't very well known here in the states you do have some chance of obtaining one. I didn't find the A-bike listing until the day after it was listed and I was the first to contact her. If it can happen for me, it can happen for you. Keep checking craigslist!
beingv

Return to General Discussion